Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Project Palettes

I was recently asked if I was going to have a hard time parting with all the jewelry I've made once it comes time to start selling. Not too long ago, I would have answered, "YES!" Now, the process of creating something new is more exciting to me than wearing something new. I love all my finished pieces. If I don't absolutely love an outcome, then it's just simply not finished yet and I rework it until I do love it! So, to keep the creative juices flowing, I have just increased my bead supply. Not exactly something I really needed to do. I'm addicted to beads, I guess, and I can't say that it's a miserable addiction to live with. I hope you enjoy my addiction too--at least the side effects of it...jewelry!!

I've sorted out my latest additions into piles that someday will become a necklace, bracelet, and/or earrings. I've even got names picked out already. This first lot is made up of yellow tiger eye, rainforest jasper, jade, and aventurine. I couldn't help but call this "Jungle Love."


This next one was the bead shop's and my daughter's fault. Really. The bead strands were all organized by color and my little one was grabbing handfuls of the strands. When she started playing with the creams and clears, it hit me just how lovely they look together. For several reasons--all of which are just too hard to put into words at this time--I'll go with "Baby's Breath" for this one. There are several different pearl varieties here along with moonstone and crystal.


This one I call "Time Traveller" since it conjured up images of a primordial world with enormous dragonflies and other now-forgotten inhabitants. The beads are glass, pearl, Australian jasper, and something new to me called Phoenix stone. The dragonfly and fossil fish charms are detailed front and back, a detail that I love.


I have another palette photo, but have decided to hold it back for a while. That particular collection of beads did make it into a two-strand necklace, of which I also have a picture. However, I am going to submit this design to Stringing magazine for their Winter edition's design challenge which is "Black and White." If you want to check it out, voting for submissions is held between September 15th and October 15th at http://stringingmagazine.com. All I will tell you is that my necklace has a lot to say. Heh, heh, heh. I'll post a picture here for you when voting closes.

I will wrap things up with a final photo. I made a pair of earrings for my Grandma to go with the bracelet I showed you in the previous post. Grandma never pierced her ears (and was not at all thrilled when I pierced mine), so this is a pair of clip-ons. The beads are all Swarovsky crystal. I was going to hold onto her gifts until her birthday, but we have an out-of-town family reunion (Grandma's side) this coming Sunday. I think she'll really enjoy the chance to sparkle at a special event like that. Happy early birthday, Grandma!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GORGEOUS, all of it!! Very, very nice job. You are amazing!

c